Sunday 3 June 2012

Goodbye Britain. First Leg Over

Well that's the first leg of the journey over, nearly over should I say. Need to sit about for 4 or 5 hours to get on the boat. Couldn't post yesterday because my phone ran out of battery iPhones are definitely not made for life on the road by push bike.

Yesterday I rode a little under 77 miles from galasheils to a town just outside Newcastle called Ponteland. I had been looking for somewhere to camp for about an hour and decided enough was enough I was putting my tent up the next field I came across. Turned out quite good as I found a cricket and rugby field so just casually pulled up flung my stuff over a hedge and put my tent up. Didn't sleep very well though probably for the fact that I was a mile away from Newcastle airport. All good though McDonald's coffee sorted me out this morning.

About an hour into my ride yesterday I came across my first sign post for Newcastle. Newcastle - 70miles instantly brought a massive grin to my little baldy face. So to celebrate I got off the bike took a couple of photos and waved like a fanny to passing lorries. It's the little things like that that might not seem much but it's been keeping me smiling and laughing along the way. A couple of hours later I was at the Scotland - England border this was an obvious place to stop and have a rest and take some more photos. My favourite picture yet, the "FUCK YOU ENGLAND" picture. Ps. It was taken by an English motorcycler he saw the funny side of it. He was a nice guy but I told him to get a real bike, one with pedals and shit. It's weird but about 10 miles splits apart the last town in Scotland to the first one in England and the difference in accents is so strange and I still don't quite get it. The accents got more and more Geordie like so I knew I was going in the right direction. Overall good day on the bike again just excited to get into Europe now and deal with whatever it has to throw at me. A special thank you to the woman at the knowesgate inn about 15 miles outside Ponteland for letting me do a shit in the pub without buying anything. She let me break the rules cause she thought I was mental for cycling to turkey. Another shout out to the 2 gentleman who cycled with me from Newcastle city centre to north shields to get the ferry, they said they were going to look up my blog so if you do, thanks a lot lads.

It has felt like more of an adventure so far than I thought it would but I think it will get more adventurous when I'm off the boat. Really looking forward to tomorrow even though the weather in Amsterdam looks shit. Just need to get some magic mushrooms, I've heard they can make the weather turn nice! (joke btw,) just incase Jintys reading again. Stay posted and thanks again for all the support online.

No comments:

Post a Comment