Wednesday 6 June 2012

Amsterdam - Germany Via Some Pretty Shite Weather

Well I'm in Germany in some sort of sandy quarry and I can almost guarantee that I'm not meant to be here.

My impression of Europe in summer was wayyyyy off mark. When we arrived at the port it was chucking it down. I was optimistic and wasn't going to let that ruin my mood. Well my spirits were high for the best part of 2 hours when I arrived in Amsterdam with the Julian and Kim (a French couple I met) I was freezing and felt like shit so I decided fuck it I wasn't cycling anymore that day. We found a campsite just outside the city centre and managed to get in and get all my clothes dry with the hope that the weather the following day would be better. (which it was)

As the saying goes when in rome do as the Romans do that was enough persuasion for me to go into Amsterdam and try the local delicacies. After a while in a great wee "cafe" I went a walk round Amsterdam to see what all the fuss was about. I have never seen so many bikes in my life. The full of the Netherlands infrastructure and roads were clearly made with cycling a higher priority than driving. The full time cycling in holland I was on 3 or 4 roads max and only for half a mile at most. When I got back to the campsite I met loads of people who are traveling around Europe some by bike. I met 2 brothers from Dundee who are planning to cycle to Nordkap or Nordkat I can't remember which one it is, anyway it's the most northerly point of Europe and both there bikes were falling to bits, so good luck if you get a chance to read.

I slept like a baby, maybe something to do with some cakes I had haha. Anyway I got up early and made breakfast, weather wasn't to nice but at least it was dry. As much as I have loved cycling in Holland I probably wouldnt ever cycle in Amsterdam again it's complete chaos. The roads are complicated and it doesn't help with crazy Dutch bastards riding around texting and holding umbrellas it's mental. After about an hour I managed to go round in a few circles and get out of Amsterdam. Once your out of the city your flying, the cycle paths are pan flat and smoother than a baby's arse. I had heard that Holland was flat but it wasn't until today I realised how flat, the biggest hill I had to go over was about 10ft and that was to get upto a bridge. I got 102 miles covered, I was determined to get into Germany today and I'm about 2 or 3 miles in from the border. I'm glad to get in a hundred mile day, even though it was as flat as a first year! Still a hundred miles though :)

I'm going to get up really early end get the fuck outta here. Don't fancy meeting the people that work here in the morning. The plan tomorrow is to cycle about 15 miles to Nordhorn to buy a road map of Germany. The whole idea I had of getting to Istanbul with no map was insane. Don't know how I thought I'd manage it. I should be in Germany for the next 4 or 5 days I think, I just randomly picked those numbers btw I could be here longer I've no idea.

Another great day on the bike today was in such a good mood peddling my wee heart out. Going to dominate the German roads tomorrow and try and get another 100 miles in. Hopefully not too many hills though.

Much love
The (not so) Hairy Push Biker

No comments:

Post a Comment